Tuesday, December 3, 2013

26 Days of Christmas - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The one thing that pissed me off about The Avengers was Joss Whedon killed S.H.I.E.L.D. field agent Phil Coulson. I should have trusted him. He never let me down in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and Angel.
"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." starts with Coulson's reinstatement to active duty after recovering in Tahiti for several months. Supposedly, the med team of the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier resuscitated him, and Fury hid this from the Avengers to push them into facing Loki together.

Except Coulson, and his right hand Melinda May, are beginning to suspect that's not what really happened to Phil.

Joss's brother Jed is the showrunner, and he's definitely got the family talent for delivering rip-roaring action, intense characterization, and a creepy, season-long story arc.

Why I recommend it? Clark Gregg has always rocked as Coulson in the movies as the every man touchstone in a world of superheroes. I always wished he had a bigger role, and had big hopes for him in The Avengers. Seeing a normal looking guy star in a series makes me happy.

Oh, and I've had a serious girl crush on Ming-Na Wen since the first season of "ER".


4 comments:

  1. I don't add new TV shows frivolously -- timesinks and all that -- but I jumped on this one. :) Good stuff, for the reasons you said, including Ming-Na. Ditto liking her since ER.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you're going to hate me because there's two other shows I'm going to mention over the next couple of weeks. *evil cackle*

      Seriously, I'm surprised by some of the chances network TV has taken this year. Maybe the executives have realized they can't keep pumping out the same re-treads.

      Delete
  2. "Tahiti.... it's a magical place. Mai tais, Travis McGee novels, and a physical therapist whose command of English was.... irrelevant...."

    One of the better Wheedonisms....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there such a thing as a bad Whedonism?

    ReplyDelete