Friday, January 19, 2018

Change Is in the Wind and on the Page

Yeah, I know it's a little late post a blog entry. So much has been happening lately, I need to get it all out before I explode.

Genius Kid graduates from high school this spring. We've always told him it didn't matter what he decided to do after graduation, but he needed to do something.

Well, he decided he wants to work for a couple of years before he goes to college. He signed up for welding classes at the local tech school, and if he gets through all of them, he'll have his basic certification by the time he graduates.

Unfortunately, his decision isn't going over well with the extended family. How could he possibly be a *gasp* blue-collar worker?

*eyeroll*

Mind you, the majority of this crap is coming from two sisters-in-law who did nothing with their degrees.

Personally, I applaud GK's decision. My dad, my brother, and my husband went into college straight out of high school because that's what they were expected to do. All three dropped out in the middle of their first year. They simply weren't ready. And there's no sense of GK wasting a semester's tuition when he already knows he's not ready.

He's also being smart about saving up the money instead of going into a ton of debt. The kid's already asking for investment advice. And he's admitted he's more like me than he really wants to acknowledge in that he'll go through three or four careers in his lifetime out of sheer boredom.

We've also told him he doesn't have to move out right away. To that end, we started house shopping. We put an offer on a house that would have been perfect: the rooms for mine and DH's offices would have been on the east and west sides while our bedroom and GK's would have been on the north and south sides. No one would be in anyone's way.

Well, we were outbid, but the design was so perfect I tried to track down the builder. Just our luck, they went under during the housing crash ten years ago, but with a little more sleuthing, we found out who had taken over their subdivisions. And *happy dance* they had the licensing rights to the design we loved.

So instead of buying, we're going to build. We've been crunching numbers, we've talked to the bank, and we still need to meet with the builder to hammer out the fine details. But we need a bigger deposit for a building loan than for buying an already existing house. That means I really, truly have to stick to my work and book release schedule for 2018.

As part of my business plan, Angry Sheep Publishing has been accepted as a vendor on Google Play, and I uploaded the Suzan Harden books while watching the NFL playoffs last weekend. I still need to update the links on my website and here, which will probably happen during the NFL conference games on Sunday.

And as I contemplate this blog, I realized how unwieldy the My Books sidebar has become. I think I'm going to create pages for each series, like I did on my main website, and just leave the books published in the last year on the side bar.

There's three books to edit, and more to write. My cover artist Elaina sent me the design for Hero De Facto this afternoon, and it's so fucking perfect I want to cry.

There's so much going on I feel a little dizzy, a little nauseated, and a little scared. But maybe getting out of my comfort zone is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I think your son is being incredibly smart, but you know that already. Sounds like your SILs are kind of dumb, but you knew that already too. :P

    And "Woot!" on having a house built! Sounds awesome. :) Long-term plan, sure, but having exactly what you want in the end will be pretty incredible.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want a usable office that's relatively close to the coffee, tea and Pepsi. LOL

      Delete