Monday, February 19, 2018

Catching Up With the Joneses

I may be doing better about keeping on a regular writing and publishing schedule, but I'm learning nothing I knew in 2013 as far as marketing and promotion is applicable today.

Part of it is good. We indies have a hell of a lot more options than we did back then. But all of them cost cash, and most of them take time to learn how to use them effectively.

We used to get attention through advanced reader copies (ARCs) sent to reader review blogs and our most ardent fans. But many of the prominent review blogs from five years ago have shut down for various reasons. Our fans won't leave early reviews, or worse, illegally post our books for sale on pirate sites.

Or the worst, post our books on legitimate retail sites and make money off us. (That's called theft, kids. Depending on the amount of money, you might be looking at a felony conviction. Jus' sayin'...)

But the only constant in life is change as Great-grandpa would say.

So now, I'm studying Amazon ads and Facebook ads and promotion stacking. All the new tricks of  the trade to get attention.

But the real tried and true method? The one that still works?

Write a new @$&@*&# book!

Seriously.

I see new writers making the same mistake new writers have made since self-publishing became a viable thing. They flog one book to death. Over and over and over...

*headdesk*

So as much as I feel stupid figuring out impressions and CPCs, I know I'm doing one thing right.

Sort of.

*sigh*

I keep hearing Red Leader's stern voice in my head, like a Force ghost: "Stay on target. Stay on target."

My target is entertaining my readers on a regular basis. Once I get the current crop of finished stories out, I've got more ideas in the pipeline. Like I said last week, I've already got enough ideas for the rest of 21st century. My Muse has decided that's not enough, and she's started stockpiling for the 22nd.

I'm very thankful I have incredibly patient readers!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, publishing your first book, then spending a year "promoting" it never did work very well, and it works even less well now. :P

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. If someone's read your first book and liked it, they want to know about your next book. Or your next series!

      Delete
    2. Aside from the fact that promotion is a waste of time and/or money unless you have more product for people to buy. :P You'd think that'd be obvious, but apparently not.

      Angie

      Delete
    3. Which is why I'm waiting until the third book in my fourth series comes out before I start plugging again. I learned my lesson seven years ago!

      Delete