Monday, June 25, 2018

Monday Movie Mania - Ocean's 8

I finally felt comfortable enough for an extended outing in public, and there are too many movies out in June that DH and I want to see. So the plan is to hit them in the order of their release...


* * *


SPOILERS!!



* * *


PROS
1) Sandy B. ALWAYS brings it! She was totally believable as Danny's little sister, Debbie.

2) The rest of the cast was charming and delightful in their roles. I just wish there was more interaction between them since most of the scenes were between each actress and Bullock.

3) The plot was frothy summer fun. No death threats or posturing.

4) James Cordon as the insurance investigator was funny as hell. He knows damn well who stole the Cartier necklace, but he doesn't feel the need to wave his wang about it as long as he can recover the goods so his company doesn't have to pay out.


CONS
1) Danny's dead!? Look, I didn't expect George Clooney to be in this one, but I was waiting for the reveal that Danny faked his death to get some peace with Tess. Was this Steven Soderbergh's "screw you" to Clooney for not wanting to do a fourth Ocean's movie?

2) I would have loved a little more character building with Debbie's crew. Rihanna's Nine Ball and Awkwafina's Constance in particular were shorted.

3) Really? They had to bring in Yen at the last minute to complete the heist? LAME!


Overall, Ocean's 8 is what I would expect out of a summer heist comedy--fun without a lot of thinking. I give it 8 stars out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment