Friday, June 29, 2018

Writing Tidbit

Dean Wesley Smith posted this video on his own blog because creator Michael La Ronn talked about Dean's book Writing Into the Dark.

For the record, I read Dean's book some time ago. And I pretty much gave up outlining back in 2008 when I wrote Amish, Vamps & Thieves. These days, I do a half-assed combination of plotting and pantsing. As in, I know how/where the story starts, I know how/where the story ends.

The middle stuff? I just start typing and leave it to the characters to figure out how they are getting from Point A to Point Z. It's basically my own weird version of The Amazing Race. LOL

Anyway, I watched Michael's video, and I was intrigued. He has some interesting spiritual/psychological insights beyond Dean's "Just the facts, ma'am" delivery. I ended up subscribing to Michael's YouTube channel to watch the rest of his videos on writing. And I'll probably check out his fantasy novels, too.

So check out Michael's commentary on Writing Into the Dark and see if he can help your process.


4 comments:

  1. Sharp dude, industrious. Small channel but I can see it growing. You know he had a deadly illness and when he got through it he said, 'eff it' and started writing seriously. He had a carpe diem moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing. I just thought his positivity was adorable and wanted to watch more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this too. Good stuff. YouTube is currently declining to notify me of any new videos on any of the channels I've subscribed to [mutter] so there's no point subscribing to anything new, but I wish him well.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just you. It's been amonth since I've gotten any notices, but hitting the subscribe button reminds me when I am on Youtube that "Hey, I like that person's videos! Have they put out another one?"

      Delete