Monday, July 16, 2018

Monday Movie Mania - The Bookclub

I have no girlfriends in the town where I'm currently living. And while DH is pretty tolerant of most of my movie peccadillos, he draws the line at anything remotely close to women's fiction.

The Bookclub is a little gem of a flick that doesn't just hit the proverbial nail when it comes to the trials and tribulations of middle-aged women in America. It disintegrates the nail with the might of Mjolnir.

Even more impressive is The Bookclub has lasted in our little cinema for nearly two months. Long after some of this year's blockbusters have disappeared.


* * *


SPOILERS


* * *


PROS
1) The cast is superb!

2) It's rare for any movie these days to touch on the lives of older women. As an older woman, I can say each woman's story hits very close to home. Especially after a conversation I had with my friend in Nashville about what we'd do if something happened to our husbands.

3) The device of the Fifty Shades trilogy was actually humorous, not icky. The books were the macguffins to get the protagonists to evaluate their life choices.

4) I love the main theme--just because you're old doesn't mean you're dead.

5) Not everyone had a perfect HEA, but all the endings were satisfying.


CONS
1) The pacing could have been better. Overall, it was jerky, and the middle seriously sagged.


Overall, I would give The Bookclub 8 stars out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment