Monday, October 15, 2018

Silence in the Writing Process

I don't talk too much about my actual writing process, i.e. the stuff that goes on inside my head while I'm writing.

I've been accused of not wanting to share my secret sauce. Believe me, there isn't any sauce, secret or otherwise. Unless you count my Pepsi Max addiction.

I've been accused of thinking my process is SPECHUL!! No, it's not. At least, not any more than any other person's.

Nope, my problem is I'm very self-conscious. To me, showing someone the writing before the work is close to completion is like asking them to eat the raw eggs, flour, etc. before I made the cake. Pretty gross, right?

And then, comes the well-meaning suggestions. Instead of making chocolate cake, make a spice one. You know half-vanilla and half-almond extract is how the big bakeries make their cakes so tasty. No one is going to eat it if you put cherries in it!

So if I want my chocolate-cherry cake with white fudge icing (or my book) to stand on its own, I need to complete it before I let anyone have a taste.

"But Suzan!" I can hear you say. "You post early chapter on your website all the time before the book is finished."

I'm also not above letting people lick the bowl and beaters after the cake pans are popped in the oven. A taste of raw cake batter isn't going to hurt anyone, but no one eats more than a couple of spoonfuls because it wouldn't sit well in your stomach.

Same with my stories. I don't mind giving a taste. It makes people want to devour the book even more when it comes out of the oven.

4 comments:

  1. You seriously have people ragging on you for not sharing your "process?" Oh, good grief. :/

    There's plenty of that around for folks who are interested. Writers have written entire books about their process. No need to go nagging individual writers who just want to write. :P

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really comes down to the secret sauce/handshake/password/lottery thinking. A lot of newbie writers watched too much Castle or Murder She Wrote when they were kids. How many times did we actually see Richard or Jessica with their butts in their chairs, working?

      Delete
    2. Ah,so they think you have the secret knock and are evilly witholding it from them because you're evil. [eyeroll]

      Good point about TV shows. I watched the first few episodes of a sitcome back in... the 90s? Something like that. The main character was a writer, living in an apartment in NYC with a friend or two, and every episode he got a rejection letter from the New Yorker. Oh noes! He'd sadly file the story, and sit down to write another one, and send it off.

      So, 1) whoever wrote this crap had no clue how long it takes the New Yorker to get back to you about a submission, if they even do, which they usually don't. :P And 2) the idea of sending the story to, oh, a different magazine...? clearly never occurred to them. Thus propagating the notion that if a story is rejected once, it's clearly crap and you should abandon it.

      I guess this is how actual forensic scientists felt when they watched the CSI shows. [wry smile]

      Angie

      Delete
    3. I admit I'm evil, but not about writing. BWAHAHAHAHA!

      Delete