Friday, November 16, 2018

Buying Other People's Plots

Okay, I admit it. I don't get people who can't come up with new ideas. I'm not trying to judge or preach. I simply can't comprehend it because I literally cannot shut off my own mind.

My husband can tell you when my story hamster is in her wheel.

But I meet or hear of so many other writers who can't seem to come up with story ideas. Maybe they are putting too much pressure on their hamster. Maybe they expect their hamsters to find the perfect story for them. Maybe they accidently killed their hamster.

So they turn to others to come up with story ideas for them. Maybe they turn to a critique partner. Maybe they buy an app like the Story Plot Generator from the Microsoft Store. Maybe they take a writing course on plotting or buy a how-to book.

But then there are the underground places where someone will sell you an outline for a novel.

Is this a good plan?

It really depends. Why are you doing it? Are you trying to jump start your hamster? Or is your hamster perfectly fine, but you don't trust it to win the race?

Here's the bigger problem, as I see it. Ideas are a dime a dozen, but if you're buying an idea from someone else, I can guarantee you'll pay more than ten cents for even one story idea/outline. Would that money be better spent on cover art, editing or formatting?

But the core of if the problem is something most writers don't consider. It's not the idea itself that gets people to buy your books. It's the execution.

Are you making your reader feel the feels? Or are you doing some paint by number schtick?

What made Harry Potter work when there are thousands of orphan books and boarding school books and magic books?

If you say it's that particular combination of subject matter, I'd say think again. Siegel and Shuster did it with Superman decades before J.K. Rowling. The creators made both Clark and Harry relatable while giving them fantastic powers.

So why would  a reader care about characters that you didn't care enough to invent them?

Or are you using someone else's ideas to insulate yourself from disappointment?

I get how rejection feels. The bad reviews. The low sales. If the idea you bought fails, well, it isn't you fault, is it? It had to be the fault of the person who sold you the outline.

Whether or not you use an plot outline you bought from someone else is totally your decision. But please know yourself well enough to figure out why you're doing it instead of coming up with your own ideas. In the end, I think your best bet as a writer is trusting your own hamster.

5 comments:

  1. I've never grokked that either. I started writing my ideas down, like, twenty years ago at least. Some are just a line or two, and I think I have one that's a whole page, but most are about a paragraph, five or six lines, something like that. I currently have... [runs to check] 79 pages of story ideas.

    And actually, I stopped being all eager to dash to the computer and write down a new idea quite a few years back. I figured out at least 10-12 years ago that, indeed, ideas are a dime a dozen. I started jotting an idea down whenever I was next at the computer. And if I forgot it before then? Oh, well, it probably wasn't that great anyway, and there'll always be more.

    And most of the time when I start a new story, it's with a brand new idea that demands to be written (or at least started [cough]) right away. I hardly ever page through my Ideas file and start writing something based on that. Occasionally, but not very often.

    I heard a few months back that some of the folks who've been buying outlines found out that the outlines they were buying weren't actually original. The folks making a nice living selling outlines were lifting them from existing books and stories, whether commercially published, or from Wattpad, or Literotica if you're looking for sexy stuff. Oops...? [eyeroll] And of course, it's the writer who ends up in trouble -- even if it's only by reputation, and not for anything legally actionable -- and not the person who sold them the outline.

    It would never have occurred to me to buy a plot off of someone else, before I started hearing about this. Coming up with story ideas just happens -- it's a skill you learn, and then for the rest of your life you have more story ideas buzzing around than you'll ever have lifetime in which to write them all. Even if you could guarantee that all the plots were actually original, I can't see paying money for them. o_O

    And of course you're right, that the readers don't become fans because of our plotlines, but because of how we execute our stories, the characters, the voice, all the bits that make my fantasy different from your fantasy, and my romance different from your romance. That's what's worth paying for, not the plots.

    You know, we could do a cool anthology where a dozen writers are all given the same plot skeleton -- like, 100 words of what-happened, really basic -- and all write a story based on it. I bet they'd be different enough to make an antho that was at least readable. :D

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking about doing an such anthology. Great minds and all that! LOL

      Delete
  2. But Suzan my ego is too trodden upon, I can't possibly use my own ideas, they are too dumb!

    ReplyDelete