Monday, April 29, 2019

It's Monday and It's Raining.

The weather fits my mood. It's been a rough couple of weeks dealing with readers.

I knew I was taking a huge chance by making Hero De Facto free and promoting it through a couple of sites I use as a reader, but never have as a publisher. You do get people to take a chance on you, but they may not be your peeps.

Normally, that's okay. The reader says, "Not for me," sets aside my book, and moves on with their life. Hell, I know I've done that with a few writers. Some of them are even my friends. *grin*

If it was just Hero De Facto, I wouldn't have said anything. I'm all too aware of how white nationalists are trying to politicize the comic book/superhero genre. I expected some backlash because I *GASP* have female protagonists!

But yesterday, Alter Ego put out a new short story. She hasn't released anything in the three years. It was one of those things I'd written over the last five years of insanity in my personal life, but didn't have the energy to publish until now. A friend who writes the same genres as Alter Ego let me do a takeover on her website today. Usually, those events are loads of fun.

But...you guessed it. A reader immediately started ranting about the retail site I was using for my giveaways. *sigh*

Has my mindset changed that fucking much with my cancer? I have bad days, but I wake up nearly every morning just grateful to still be here.

But the entitlement I'm seeing blows my mind. Everyone WANTS to be offended.

I don't have the energy to deal with it on a daily basis. So I'll gripe here for a moment, then move on.

Because Justice Anthea has a city full of people she needs to save from demons. And ironically, a demon battle makes me feel better. *grin*

4 comments:

  1. So many want so badly to be offended. On the one hand I'm not trying to write offensive stuff, but on the other hand I know people want to be angry so badly there's not much I can do. I have half a mind to just lean the fuck into it and piss everyone off. Because it's not 'everyone', not even close, it's just the loudest babies in the nursery getting the attention. I keep having to remind myself that most people are just normies, keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone else during the takeover was quite lovely. I entertained them, and the day got better.

      I just have those flashes of old lady moments where I have to yell, "Get off my lawn!"

      Delete
  2. LOL! on writing demon battles making you feel better. Now I'm imagining you mentally pinning name tags to a few of the demons and tearing them apart in various creative ways. :)

    And hey, whatever works. If most of the folks on your takeover were cool, then that's good, it served its purpose. One jerk isn't worth stressing over, so it's good that you're not. {{}}

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I'd never do that! The fact that Seismic Shift resembles a certain fast food manager from my teens is purely coincidental! ROFLMAO!

      Delete