Friday, May 3, 2019

Sticking to a Schedule

In trying to get all my minutiae finished for Hero De Novo, I find myself still awake at 4:30 a.m.

No, I haven't been to bed yet. No, it's not insomnia for once. This is my own stubbornness of sticking to a publishing schedule.

I need to learn how to stick to a schedule again if I want my business to work. Back in 2012 and 2013, I didn't have a problem. I HAD to schedule everything, or nothing got done. I was homeschooling, working a retail job, and writing.

When everything fell apart in 2013, I still managed to keep a schedule. I would have collapsed into a ball of despair otherwise.

But when 2015 rolled around, I was having to keep other people's schedules. That lasted until 2018, when I simply didn't have the mental space to schedule anything beyond the multitude of my own medical appointments.

So I found myself working on relearning something that used to be habitual. Hopefully, this old dog can relearn her old tricks.

4 comments:

  1. I've encountered the same issue. Staying on track without external motivators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess we both need to work on that pesky internal motivation.

      Delete
  2. I seriously suck at scheduling myself. I'm another one who has a hard time with internal motivation. I can hit other people's schedules (unless I'm in the hospital, or otherwise barfing my brains out) but my own deadlines? Meh. [sigh]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, all you can do is work within the boundaries biology has thrown at you.

      But other times, yeah, it's hard to prod yourself along...

      Delete