Monday, June 10, 2019

Rainbow Flags

I live in a small Midwestern town. This is most definitely Trump country. Conservative. Christian. The KKK marches here occasionally. Several folks fly Confederate flags from their porches or their pickups.

June is LBGTIQA Pride Month. The local LGBTIQA community painted a rainbow flag on the asphalt at the intersection of Main Street and Main Cross Street. Rainbow flags graced the light poles along Main. Wilson's Sandwich Shop's huge front windows were painted in glorious colors.

I took this picture with my phone as we drove down Main Street on our way to my father-in-law's house to check the basement after three inches of rain. I never thought I'd see pride flags waving in front of this particular courthouse in a matter-of-fact way.

Of course, some people threw a fit. Some letters to the editor of local paper were vitriolic. Others were loving and compassionate.

I want to believe that people are inherently good. To paraphrase Doctor Who, always be kind, never cruel. It makes the world a much better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment