Monday, July 8, 2019

Monday Movie Mania - Rocket Man

DH and I went to see this a month ago. If it's still in your theaters, I highly recommend catching it before it leaves.


* * *


SPOILERS


* * *


PROS
1) First of all, the format is not a straight biography like Bohemian Rhapsody. It's more of a psychedelic musical. The framework is Elton John reminiscing during group therapy when he enters rehab.

2) Taron Egerton was positively delightful as Elton. He flashed from genius to vulnerability smoothly, making you understand why Elton some of the mistakes and life choices he did.

3) Taron's actually singing in the movie, and his covers of Elton's songs were fucking incredible!

4) The movie ends with Taron recreating the music video of "I'm Still Standing" as a supposedly sober Elton. It's my favorite Elton John song, but in a twist reminiscent of Bohemian Rhapsody playing with the artists' timeline, Elton did not get sober until 1991.


CONS
1) If Taron doesn't get an Oscar nod for this flick, I'm going to be even more disappointed in the Academy than I already am.

2) I wish there was a little more about Elton's relationship with Bernie.


Overall, if you love Elton John and a beautiful musicals, go see this one! Definitely 10 stars out of 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment