Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Because One Person Hates Your Work...

...it doesn't mean it's the end of your career.

Bob Mayer posted a story about having belief in yourself. One person's opinion doesn't matter. Five, one hundred, one thousand. They really don't fucking matter.

I know some writers who hang onto their rejections for years or decades. But is it healthy?

For some folks, it lights a fire in their heart or their asses to prove to those naysayers wrong.

In my case, I really broke free by shredding every single paper rejection from editors and agents and every smarmy comment from RWA contests I'd received over the years. Putting those bags of shredded bits was a huge weight off my shoulders.

But it's that spark inside of you that will keep you going. Will keep you leaning. Will keep you growing as an artist.

Ask yourself if you're happy with your progress. Because only your opinion really matters in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment