Monday, March 16, 2020

Corona Virus Pandemic Day 5

A lot of people are freaking right now. It's not the lack of toilet paper on the shelves. It's the lack of certainty of when this crisis will end.

I get it. I do. I faced this lack of certainty when I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. Because with every fucking test, the situation became worse. Both my oncologist and I were researching our butts off and came up with a plan we both were comfortable with.

So, I'm taking the COVID-19 shit seriously because I didn't go through all that crap to die of some stupid virus. The first person died in the U.S. the same day I returned from Las Vegas. At that point, it was obvious containment was a lost cause. I've stayed in our apartment since I returned, other than a couple of necessary errands.

So how do we deal with our quarantine?

Well, DH found Pepsi Max, chip dip, and bagels for me when he went out to pick up his prescriptions and fill the gas tank on his car. (He'd filled mine and Genius Kid's earlier in the week.) He keeps my glass filled with ice and Pepsi while I've been catching up on the personal and business administration stuff that had been neglected between my class in Las Vegas and finishing the latest book. He calls his dad daily to make sure he's okay. He's doing what he can to fulfill his role as caretaker. It's his way of self-soothing.

I could be freaking about the lack of sales like so many of my colleagues. Mine died the day I came home from Las Vegas. But I'm not going to. We haven't hit the new "normal" yet. Until we do, there's no way of analyzing the real effects this crisis will have on my business. For now, I'm simply thankful that my readers haven't cancelled their per-orders.

I've had the TV on over the weekend while I've been entering receipts into the accounting software and uploading the 888-555-HERO series on the other retail platforms. Not the news, but Supernatural, Bones, The Harry Potter marathon on the SyFy channel, Star Trek:Beyond, and Scorpion.

Today, I'm jumping on the next book to write. I can't control this virus or anyone's reaction to it, but I can write my stories. That's the best remedy I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment