Monday, March 23, 2020

Monday Movie Mania - Birds of Prey

In all fairness, I dragged DH to see Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) in the theater on its release weekend. In the rush to finish a novel and get my taxes done before a writing workshop in Vegas back in February, I never typed up my review.

Damn, that all seems so long ago now.

I tried to set aside my preconceived notions of Birds of Prey when I went to the theater since I'd been collecting the comics

Anyway, since the digital and on-demand release is tomorrow thanks to the global pandemic, here's my thoughts as y'all seek to entertain yourselves while stuck at home.


* * *


SPOILERS


* * *


PROS
1) Margot Robbie is the worthy successor to Arleen Sorkin who originated the role of Harley on Batman: The Animated Series. Margot's manic energy was the glue that held this movie together.

2) I squeed with fangirl delight at Rosie Perez's portrayal of Detective Renee Montoya.

3) Cathy Yan's direction was exciting and fun with a female eye to the action sequences.


CONS
1) Christina Hodson's script left something to be desired. I would have liked to have seen more character development in the DCEU versions of Dinah (Black Canary), Helena (Huntress), and Cass (Batgirl/Orphan). They wouldn't have had to stretch the 109-minute screen time that much to flesh out the ladies a little more.


Overall, this was a fun and crazy Harley story that will end up on my permanent shelf. I give it 9 stars out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment