Monday, April 27, 2020

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 47 - Stress and Sleep Disruption

I've had problems with my sleep patterns since I hit puberty. With the onset of menopause symptoms, I haven't had insomnia for the last few years.

Until now.

Everyone's feeling the stress of the pandemic and the stay-at-home orders. It doesn't help when people's loved one's are dying, and we can't be with them. The known death toll in the U.S. jumped from 40K a week ago to 56K when I woke up this afternoon.

As I said is a previous post, I'm sure I'm picking up on my neighbors' anxiety. I tried CBD and melatonin to try to get back in a regular sleep cycle to no effect. So over the weekend, I tried what I call a hard reset. I'd stay up an extra four hours starting Thursday night. Back when I worked in corporate America, I'd have to take a vacation day to do this.

It was working until yesterday. I should have gone to bed about six p.m. after waking up at midnight. But I'd gotten caught up in The Martian. Then DH wanted to get a shower. So I watched a recorded episode of Scorpion. I finally went to bed about ten p.m.

And woke up at two p.m. this afternoon.

Well, shit.

I'm not trying this again for a while. It's hard on my blood sugars. I need to go back with the flow and not worry about my sleep pattern so much. Or try not to worry.

It would just be nice to have something feel normal in this crazy ass world.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like me, including the attempted hard reset and the resulting 16-hour sleep. :P Not always, of course; just often enough to be aggravating and just seldom enough to make you think it might work this time. :/

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the first time a hard reset didn't work. But, oh, well!

    After the last five years, I hadn't had insomnia issues. Which is ironic since that's one of the major complaints of perimenopause. I was hoping it had gone away. :(

    ReplyDelete