Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Writing in the Age of Corona

I was awake at 6:00 this morning after only sleeping a couple of hours. At 8:15, I gave up on trying to get some more sleep, got dressed, and drove to McDonald's to pick up breakfast. It's kind of sad they have the freshest tea in town out of all the take-out restaurants.

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, I would have gone to Panera for their bacon and spinach soufflé. That will be the signal that things are back to normal--soufflés will be available again at Panera.

But tea? For me, tea is essential for writing. That, my earbuds, and my Amazon Music subscription. As much as I love my husband, it's hard for both of us to work in our tiny apartment.

Let me amend that. It's hard for me to write original words while he's on the phone with clients and his team members. DH is normally a soft talker.

Until he gets on the phone.

With the pandemic, I've got nowhere to go with my laptop that's safe. Not when I'm in the high-risk group of croaking from COVID-19. The McDonald's drive-thru this morning? Less than five minutes and minimal contact. Sitting in a restaurant for two hours? High probability of contamination even if I were allowed to sit for that long. Which I'm not for anyplace that serves breakfast.

I know other writers who need absolute quiet. Apartment living, along with a spouse who works from home would drive them bonkers. But I learned long ago that music provides white noise and allows me to get into the writing zone. It was simply a matter of training myself. And training others because I learned folks don't bug you in cafés and restaurants when you have wires trailing out of your ears.

So writing at home in the age of corona means earbuds and cranking up the music to provide enough white noise I can't consciously hear DH talking about general ledgers or downed servers. And it helps that temperatures are warming up. The A/C is already chugging along, providing its own white noise.

4 comments:

  1. My problem with music is that for me, it's not white noise. If I enjoy it, then it's distracting. If I don't enjoy it, then it's annoying. I can't just tune it out, though, or let it flow over me, or whatever people do with music-as-white-noise. :P Awesome that it works for you, though. :)

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I say is you're lucky your dh is retired. And the downstairs neighbor didn't get a new puppy. And the guys aren't mowing right outside your window. LOL

      Delete
    2. To be selfishly honest, I'd rather Jim weren't retired. Having him around all day, every day, drives me quietly crazy. I'm very hermitish, and I desperately need time by myself. I don't get it anymore, and it's hard. Of course, even if he were still working now, he'd be home, but it would've only been for the last few months, rather than the last ten years. :P

      And Rrrrrrr! and Bzzzzzzz! and WoofWoofWoof! noises don't bother me much unless they're way loud. To me, that is white noise -- noise with no meaning, sound with no encoded communication. I have no problem writing while the guy's outside with a leaf blower. [wry smile]

      Angie

      Delete
  2. Camilla Cabello's Havana is great for writing scenes in Marta's restaurant. *grin*

    ReplyDelete