Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fear IS the Mind Killer

Currently reading - Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Whether or not you've read Dune (or seen the movie or watched the mini-series), take the title of today's blog to heart. If you think you have writer's block, admit to yourself what it really is.

Fear.

Pure and simple fear.

The question you have to ask youself--what is it you're really afraid of?

For me, it's fear of success. Whenever I had any kind of accomplishment as a child, I would be mocked, primarily by my own mother. That success/mockery set up an ugly pattern in my life, one I've struggled to overcome.

I'm not saying dealing with fear is easy. But by acknowledging it, dragging out into the sunlight, fear loses its power. Clearing your path of the shadows lets you proceed to become the person, and writer, you were meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment