Wednesday, March 3, 2010

That's the Way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I Edit

Currently reading - Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

I haven't posted for the last couple of days due to deep immersion in my first editing pass of AVT. Overall, I was rather pleased with this first draft. It flowed, had consistancy for the most part, and just needs a little tweaking. I amazed myself by only having two pages of notes, most of which consist of clarifying some plot points.

Using National Novel Writing Month as a jump start, I cranked out the 56.5K draft in forty-five days, a record for me. The most surpising thing was the amount of emotion I conveyed. I freely admit emotional nuance is one of my weak points as a novelist, second only to POV f***-ups.

Before anyone starts hollering that my manuscript is too short, please note--I am one of those rare people who has to ADD words to her manuscript. The first draft of ZL came in at 65K. The latest version I've been sending to agents is 95.5K.

Hmmm, I wonder how many novels I could crank out if I get that six-month writing fellowship?

No comments:

Post a Comment