Monday, September 5, 2011

AA for Indie Writers

Currently reading - Baby, Come Home by Stephanie Bond

It happened.  It's the risk you take when you have real-time data for writers.  The rest of my c.p.'s didn't have this problem as traditionally published writers.  They simply didn't have access to the numbers.  Numbers were totally the purview of the houses.

Hello, my name is Suzan, and I'm addicted to checking my Amazon numbers.

I knew I had a problem when I started checking three times a day.  I knew I was on the way to the harder stuff--viewing my numbers on an hourly basis. I knew I needed help when I was only writing 100-200 words per day because I was worried about the FUCKING NUMBERS!

Addiction is a problem in my family.  I've always known this, but self-publishing wasn't alcohol or prescription drugs or tobacco.  Checking Amazon shouldn't have been a problem, right?

Wrong.

I'm on my fourth day without logging onto Amazon KDP or Author Central.  DH is acting as my sponsor, and he's keeping me accountable.  Let's see if I can make it to the end of September.

5 comments:

  1. **Tess raises her hand and stands** I too am addicted. Please help me.

    Okay, I don't think I can go without checking for a month...but I vow to only check them once a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Tess, I think we can get our program down to three steps:

    1) Admit there's a problem

    2) Take away Internet access

    3) Write next book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I come here for support!! I'm having withdrawals and it's only 2:30!!!

    I do need to time myself out of internet and email access!!!!!! Those are a huge timesucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, it's 6:00 and I'm now itching all over! Where is the help line????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, girl, we need to find you an alternate sponser while I'm at the Day Job. Do you make it through the night?

    ReplyDelete