Friday, May 4, 2012

Guest Post by A.S. Fenichel


Please welcome fellow paranormal erotica author, A.S. Fenichel!

Thanks, Suzan, for having me here today. It’s a really exciting day for me. I’m happy to report that my second book, Mayan Craving, is available for sale today. The story turned out terrific and the cover is stunning.

Since you were kind enough to give me cart blanche about what to write, I thought I tell you all about my journey to becoming a published author.

I’m a late bloomer when it comes to writing. I always hear writers say that they wrote their first book at six or that they started writing in grade school. I’ve been telling stories since I was a little girl. Back then, they were all about my imaginary friend, Richie, and I was in all of them. I never wrote a single story down until I was a freshman in college. I had an English professor who made us write a short story. That was the first time it occurred to me that the people living in my head might want to come out and play. Once the door was open, there was no stopping the flow.

Getting published was not nearly as easy as writing the books. It was almost impossible! I had a full time job and little time for promoting myself or editing. There always seems time to write, but the really hard part, is the editing. At least for me, some writers love it. It took me fifteen years to figure out, with the help of some wonderful writing organizations, that I needed critique partners. Basically, I had to become a better writer and very few people can do that on their own. We all need brutally honest friends to tell us what works and what doesn’t.

I love historical romance and I also love to read Fantasy and Sci-Fi. I’d been writing Regency romance and I still do, but one January day in 2011, I saw a call for entries from an E-publisher for End-of-Days stories. I had just had a dream about a thief in a castle. I put the two together and wrote Mayan Afterglow, a book which has nothing to do with castles. But I was so happy to have a place to put that dream, I made some adjustments to the time period and circumstances. I promptly enlisted all of my friends (writers mostly) to help me edit the book in time. Then I submitted it and it was rejected.

I thought this was my own personal End-of Days. I was ready to give up submitting. Not writing, mind you. I could never give up writing, but the idea of more rejection was debilitating. I have a very good friend, Shelley Freydont, who is a wonderful multi-published author. When I told her I’d had enough, she pulled a face and told me not to be silly (she may have used a stronger word), just submit the story somewhere else. I took her advice and a month later I got “THE CALL!” Ellora’s cave was interested in publishing my book! I’m not at all embarrassed to tell you that the "happy dance" could be seen at my house for days. In fact I danced in the yard, the driveway, out on the dock and even in the lake.

One last thing before I go, I want to pay forward what Shelley did for me. If you are an aspiring writer, get involved with local writing groups like Romance Writers of America . They have a chapter in almost every city and region in the country and several on-line chapters as well. If you don’t write romance, check around locally and see what other groups are available. You’ll be surprised how many other writers are out there struggling with the same issues, and how willing published authors are to give advice and help you. Most importantly, keep writing and keep submitting, no matter how many rejections you receive. Never give up. Just keep getting better at your craft until one day, voila, someone wants to publish your book.


Blurb for Mayan Craving
Surviving the End of Days was only the beginning of the journey for Nancy. After years of searching, she’s finally found her missing sister, but when she attempts to rescue Robyn, she enters her worst nightmare. Captured by demons and about to be sacrificed, Asher is her unexpected hero. Asher’s kindness and bravery arouse her lust, and leave her wanting much more than just his friendship.

Asher has been in love with Nancy since he first laid eyes on her, but her infatuation with another man always left him standing in the background. Her sudden craving for him couldn’t turn him on more. He can’t help finding rapture with Nancy, but the attraction could only be fleeting.While danger and passion pull them together, doubt may rip them apart. They’ll need more than a carnal connection if they’re to survive.


Contest
If you’d like to be entered to win an E-copy of Mayan Craving, stop over at A.S. Fenichel’s blog  today and leave a comment.

A.S. Fenichel adores writing stories filled with love, passion, desire, magic and maybe a little mayhem tossed in for good measure. Books have always been her perfect escape and she still relishes diving into one and staying up all night to finish a good story. Originally from New York, she grew up in New Jersey. She now lives in the southwest with her real life hero, her wonderful husband. When she is not reading or writing she enjoys cooking, travel, history and puttering in her garden.

For more information about A.S. Fenichel, visit her web-site, Facebook page and Twitter feed. Her books are available at Amazon, Barnes & NobleEllora's Cave,  or wherever e-books are sold.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, A.S., on the book releases. That cover is gorgeous and the story sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teri! I'm really happy with the book and Ellora's Cave always does a great job with the art. They are very good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to learn so much about you, A.S!!! So thrilled for your release and hope you sell tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy cover, A.S.! So glad you could drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tess, I'm so glad you came by today.

    Suzan, It's my pleasure to be here.

    ReplyDelete