Friday, December 28, 2012

The Little Green Monster

...and I don't mean Oscar the Grouch from Seseme Street.

It's all too easy to get caught up in what other writers have, be it sales, fans, offers, etc. In the long run, it does you no good dwelling on it. You become so bitter and jaded that no one wants to be around you, including your muse.

I know from whence I speak. When I started writing Zombie Love in November of 2005, I googled the title. Nothing, nada, zip came up. Then over the next few years as I pitched my story, agents and editors didn't want to touch it. A zombie as a romantic comedy heroine? Ple-e-e-ease.

Now? Now, we have zombies everywhere. Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Married with...Zombies, The Walking Dead and *drumroll* Warm Bodies: A Zombie Love Story.

I could get pissy and throw a tantrum about why my story, written way ahead of the others, didn't get choosen *gasp*. But it's a "moo" point as Joey from Friends would say. All I can do is keep writing because there are readers who do appreciate what I do.

And I'm not going to be jealous because Warm Bodies looks exactly like the kind of thing I'd want to watch--the whole reason I created Sam Ridgeway in the first place. Here's the first four minutes of Warm Bodies, which will be in theaters February 1st.



2 comments:

  1. Tim and I still say, "it's moo."

    So funny.

    As for you, you were ahead of the pack.

    How's little Buddy today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great when you've been together long enough that a simple quote says loads?

    As for being head of the pack, that's what DH keeps telling me.

    I've been claimed as Buddy's human. He gets demanding if he feels I don't give him sufficient lap time. I think I may have to get a little bed to put on my desk to make him happy. *grin*

    ReplyDelete