Monday, February 25, 2013

My Spiritual Father Won the Fucking Oscar!

When people ask me to describe my writing style, I tell them to imagine how the love child of Quentin Tarantino and MaryJanice Davidson would write.

Either you've got a blank look on your face right now, or you totally understand what I'm talking about.

Or maybe you're taking this literally, in which case you're a dumbass because the three of us are about the same age. And if you are taking this literally maybe you should log off the internet and go find your meds.

Last night, Quentin won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, his second, for Django Unchained. (For trivia's sake, he also won an Oscar for Pulp Fiction with co-writer Roger Avary.)

I haven't seen Django Unchained yet, but thanks to the Oscar win, the movie will be in the local theaters for a couple of more weeks at least. GK surprised me by saying he'd like to see it too.

This is one of the few areas where DH and I don't always agree on child-rearing. I'd rather have GK watch/read/play something in such a way that we can discuss the merits/aspects/purpose of that particular form of entertainment. He's a pretty bright kid, and I'll admit I often forget he's not as old as he seems.

But when I looked at DH and asked, "What do you think?", he surprised me by saying, "Let's see how he handles Pulp Fiction first. If he's okay with it, then we'll all go see Django together."

Ironically, after letting GK watch Die Hard two weeks ago, he went through my movie library looking for more Bruce Willis flicks. When he pulled out Pulp Fiction, I'm the one who said no because I thought the Marcellus's rape scene would be a little too intense.

But then, we're having pretty serious talks about girls, sex and gay rights lately, so maybe it's time to talk about our society's rape culture.

Besides, if I really wanted to scare GK, I'd let him watch From Dusk till Dawn...

No comments:

Post a Comment