Monday, February 11, 2013

Status Update - February 2013

Well, I've passed the two-year mark since I decided to indie publish. Frankly, I've been amazed how well things have been going! I've ditched both of my jobs, and I'm writing full-time. It's meant some careful financial planning because some months sales are terrific and other months are kind of sucky. But that's totally normal for the book-selling business.

Total sales for 2011 - 181
2011 Releases - 3 novels, 2 novellas and 1 non-fiction

Total sales for 2012 - 2469
2012 Releases - 1 novel, 7 novellas, 3 short stories

Yep, that's a 1300% increase. For those curious about cause and effect, sales went up which allowed me to write full-time, therefore productivity went up.

I also tried to release something every month in 2012. As you can see, I managed eleven new releases despite being waylaid by the flu for the month of October. Unfortunately, Blood Sacrifice fell by the wayside and the Seasons of Magick: Winter release was over a month late.

2013 will be a little different, definitely fewer releases. After I complete two novellas for Alter Ego, I'm going to buckle down on the Bloodlines novels. I really miss writing longer works, and I'm looking forward to getting back to Sam and the gang.

2 comments:

  1. This is cool to read. Tim does these kinds of posts for his zine. And it's always interesting to read stuff like this.

    Thanks for sharing and congrats on being able to ditch both day jobs.

    Now that's good livin.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rough and tough at times, Ivy, but this is the happiest I've been with my job in a long, long time!

    ReplyDelete