Friday, April 29, 2016

Productivity and the Whiney Writer

There are times I'm amused by the excuses people come up with for not writing. Then there are times when I'm less amused.

Today is one of the latter.

I've been back to work for a week now after the flu from hell. I still have a lovely little bronchitis cough that will not go away. It still doesn't take much to fatigue me.

For example, I had my annual gynecological exam this morning. After my visit, I stopped at Starbucks to pick up coffee for DH, tea for me and some breakfast. Everything took me a whole whopping hour. By the time I got home from just those two errands, I was so tired I could barely crawl up the stairs to our apartment.

Despite the lingering health issues, I've written a hair over two thousand words this week, and edited a good chuck of a novel. So when I read yet another article about some writer whining she can't make a living because it takes her ten years to write one novel, I'm like "What da fuck?!"

You get out of writing what you put in. If you don't put in much, you aren't going to get much out.

I've been writing, but not publishing (much) over the last couple years. My income has dropped because my readers aren't getting new stories from me. And it's no one else's fault but my own.

I'm trying to finish the multitude of stories I have started over the last two years. Granted, the month of April has been a total waste thanks to the hell flu, but I'm hoping I can stay healthy and finish a few things.

And if I don't get them finished and published, then I have no fucking reason to whine about not making money. Right?

4 comments:

  1. I agree completely, which is why I haven't been whining. [wry smile] My romance pseud is making pitiful pocket change for the same exact reason you stated, that I haven't published anything new in like... three years? Something like that. Completely my fault. My mainstream pseud is doing better, but not nearly as well as she could be. Again, completely my fault. [shrug]

    At least I own my flakiness. :P

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie dear, you at least have more than one story out in the retail wilds. Shortly after posting this entry, I read another whinefest where the person couldn't understand why the public didn't recognize his obvious genius on his one and only book for sale. *facepalm*

      Delete
    2. Oh, good grief. Don't tell me -- Mr. Whiner published his one book, then spent the next year doing promo and is completely befuddled as to why it hasn't turned into a hit yet...? :P

      Angie

      Delete
  2. Bingo! Another writer who doesn't understand readers at all. We want the next book, dammit!

    ReplyDelete