Monday, May 8, 2017
Monday Movie Mania - The Fate of the Furious
* * *
* * *
1) Everyone still alive (whether character or real life) is back for this one except for Jordana Brewster (Mia Toretto O'Connell) and Sean Boswell (Lucas Black). Jordana's character had her bittersweet send-off in the last movie. Lucas signed for two additional F&F movies after Furious 7, but scheduling conflicts didn't allow him to appear in this film.
2) Brian and Mia were at least mentioned in the movie.
3) Ramsey, the creator of God's Eye, is officially part of the team. She gives Tej a run for his money as the resident brainiac.
4) Charlize Theron makes a delicious bad guy. Her Cypher is revealed to be behind the events in Fast & Furious 6 and Furious 7.
5) Helen Mirren's uncredited cameo as Owen and Deckard Shaw's mom is a frickin' hoot! I really hope they bring her back.
6) The plot is more organic than the last couple have been. No weird plot twists that make no sense. This is probably the best screenplay since the first movie. It hits you right in the feels.
1) Okay, I do have one little quibble with the story. I think Dom and Hobbs forgive the Shaws and accept them into the family a bit too quickly. I mean it took two movies for Dom to forgive Brian and Dom and Hobbs nearly three movies to accept each other.
Overall, I give The Fate of the Furious 9.5 stars out of 10.