Friday, August 18, 2017

Picking a Genre

Goddess, I feel old. I've only been doing this indie publishing a little over six years, and somehow I'm an old-timer. Lately, I've been seeing writers with no trad publishing experience and only a year or two of indie experience whining about how hard this business is and why aren't they making six figures a month.

When I take a look at their catalog though, I see one novel in romance, two in urban fantasy, three erotica shorts, and a young adult novel. All under different pseudonyms.

Can anyone in the audience name the problem? Anyone? Bueller?

*headdesk*

If someone reads your romance novel AND they like it, usually they want to read more of your romance. You aren't going to sell more of that same romance novel to that same reader.

Now, maybe that reader would have read your YA, too. But they can't find your YA because you put under another, totally unrelated name. So how are you going to sell a second book to your reader if they can't find you?

This is another example of lottery thinking. Jumping from genre to genre isn't going to win you readers because not everyone reads the same genre or the same sets of genres.

If you need to write in different genres, pick something related. For example, fantasy is a pretty broad genre. By June of 2018, I'll have 13 books in one series of UF, three books in a sword and sorcery series, four books in paranormal romance series, and three books in a superhero series. All these books are under the same name. There's quite a bit of crossover in readership.

On the other hand, I have fourteen books under the Alter Ego pseudonym under the broad genre brush of erotic romance ranging from hot paranormal romance to BDSM romance to ménage. Again, there's a lot of crossover among that readership.

Since there's not a lot of cross appeal between the two broad audiences, it doesn't make to have the same pseudonym.

Notice something else? Yeah, there's a lot of books for a reader to choose from.

I'm not out writing cozy mysteries, military sci-fi, or sweet romance. I'm sticking to a category and building it.

Now, granted I've slipped over the last few years in the production department, but I'm still averaging three figures a month in income. Why? BECAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF BOOKS.

Okay, maybe not as many as say Amanda M. Lee or Kris Rusch.

But the more books you have in the same genre, the more likely it is a reader will discover one of them  and check out the rest.

One thing I haven't done is genre-jump in an effort to hit the lottery. Also, I'm sticking to genres I love to read. Why? Because the last thing I want is to hit the jackpot on a genre I hate. I don't want to be stuck writing stuff I actively dislike. Life's too short, and frankly, I don't want to earn living at something I hate. Hell, I can go back to farming if I want to make myself miserable.

When someone asks, my advice is to write what you love. Write the types of books you want to read but can't find. I guarantee you there's someone else out there, just like you, wanting to read the same stuff you wish were on the bookshelves or your e-reader. You'll make everyone a lot happier, including yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Stuff like this makes me glad I don't hang out on any of the big indie-writer forums. [wry smile]

    I knew a guy a few years ago who did exactly what you described. He had three different books up, under three different names, in kinda-sorta related genres but they were labelled and marketed horribly. (Frex., something that should've been labelled paranormal m/m was published as "metaphysical gay lit." [headdesk]) He wasn't selling (big shock) and was extremely confused as to why. He was apparently delighted to have an agent "accept" him, because he felt he needed career building advice.

    [more headdesking] I only heard of this well after the fact, but heck, I'd have been happy to tell him what he was doing wrong, and wouldn't have collected fifteen percent of his income forever to do it. :P

    But yeah, too many writers think they're buying lottery tickets, and get ticked off that they don't hit the jackpot after one or two or five books. :/

    Also agree that life's too short to write stuff you hate. I mean, if someone offered me a few million to write a one-shot in a genre I hated, I could probably grit my teeth and do it. But no way would I commit to doing a series like that. [shudder]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really cut back on talking to other writers. Hell, I don't even go on TPV much anymore. There's so few writers I've met that are middle-ground, i.e. they understand you've got to work at a career.

    But "metaphysical gay lit" takes the internet for the week!

    ReplyDelete