Wednesday, September 12, 2018

No More Superman?

Apparently chaos still reigns at Warner Brothers Studios. Any sequel to the Superman solo movie Man of Steel has been put on hold.

The reason why Marvel is blowing their competition out of the water is simple--one person, i.e. Kevin Feige, is the sole visionary behind the company's success. It's huge, stressful job. One I do not envy.

But by keeping to a singular vision, Marvel's quality has been consistent while giving individual directors creative leeway, and the studio keeps raking in the dough.

On the other hand, Warner Brothers' efforts in creating the DCEU aren't working as well as they would like. Why? Two reasons: too many cooks in the production room and Zack Snyder's dark nihilistic vision of characters that Gen X parents remember best from the Superfriends cartoon series and Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-Zack Snyder. Sucker Punch is one of my favorite movies. But he wasn't the person to launch the DCEU.

As much as I dislike Man of Steel, Henry Caville has grown on me as Superman, kind of like that huge caterpillar under his nose that had to be CGI'd out of Justice League. I was hoping to see him as the Big Blue Boy Scout one more time.

And I'm doubly sad that Warner Brothers can do such a great job with their animated movies and their TV series, but can't get their shit together with their live action movies. DC has a long and storied history. It's a shame their owners are unable to respect that.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I heard about that. [sigh] I like Henry Cavill. I just don't like the scripts/directing he's been given, and yeah, I blame Zack Snyder for it. Although I also agree that it's actually the fault of whoever hired Mr. Grimdark to work on the generally up-beat and inspirational DC comic movies. That person should be fired, or at least get a good ass-kicking up on mahogany row. :/

    I think Cavill could be a great Superman, with a Superman-worthy script and some decent (for the franchise) directing.

    If they ever decide to movie-fy the elderly, bitter Batman of Frank Miller's Dark Knight, I could see Snyder doing a great job. For mainstream DC content, though, he's the absolutely wrong tool for the job.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fumbling and failing with something that should be a slam dunk. I don't mind if they go dark to distinguish themselves from Marvel, but the Superman character isn't dark. That's what makes him special. He's not Batman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. When they have Superman demolishing buildings like bowling pins, and giving no apparent fucks about the people who might've been (and probably were) in those buildings? Sorry, that's not Superman. :(

      Angie

      Delete