Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Bring the Hot Dogs and Marshmallows!

April's Camp NaNoWriMo started Monday.

For those who may not know, Camp NaNo is a slightly more sedate version of November's National Writing Month. You join cabins, which have a camper limit, instead of having national regions.  And unlike November, which has the major American holiday of Thanksgiving, April may or may not have big holidays in it, though this year Passover/Easter is the third week of April.

On the other hand, most schools had Spring Break back in March, so those with kids will only have a couple of extra days of screaming rugrats, instead of a whole week plus in-laws.

I joined a cabin with some friends. All of us have books to finish or write, so the impetus and/or camaraderie can help push through whatever may be holding us back.

Writing is a solitary occupation, but sometimes it helps to associate with others in our occupation. As hard as our loved ones try, they don't understand the trials and triumphs of this quirky profession.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I've heard of Camp NaNoWriMo for a few years now, but for some reason I thought it was an actual camp, like you signed up and paid and travelled to a campground, like a writing retreat.

    I have no clue where that came from, but that's what I've been thinking all this time. :P Guess I should go read up about it, at least before next year. [laugh/headdesk]

    Best of luck, and have a productive April! :D

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL No real camping. I had more than my fill of real camping in the first twenty years of my life. I'd rather die in the apocalypse than camp outdoors again.

      The folks that organize NaNo usually have another "camp" in July, for those who aren't getting work done because the weather's just too darn nice.

      Delete