Monday, April 8, 2019

The More Things Change in RWA...

...the more I'm glad I left years ago.

I love romance. I'm a romance writer under the Alter Ego pen name. And if any of you have read my fantasy genre books, you know I have romance subplots.

I left because of the regular dissing of erotic romance and indie publishing and e-books. I was told I would never have a career if I indie-published, or kept writing trash or...pick your poison. The anger from others and myself was affecting me physically. I didn't need to end up in the hospital. Ironically, I quit both my day job and RWA in 2012.

Over the last seven years, I've had friends, old and new, suggest that I come to a meeting again. "Things have changed," they said. "RWA had lots of workshops on indie publishing," they said. "RWA is more open now than ever," they said.

Then the Rita nominees were announced at the end of March.

For those who don't know, the Ritas are the major awards in the romance genre. For romance writers, nabbing a Rita is a big deal.

Except the membership noticed at glaringly bright white problem. Yep, all the nominees for 2019 are white, straight women. And for the whipped cream on that milk pie, all stories nominated involved contained heroines who are ...straight, white women. After all the bullshit with the Oscars, you'd think other entertainment-related organization would learn.

*sigh*

The original brouhaha allegedly happened on RWA's PAN (Published Authors Network) forum. Things got so bad it spilled into other writer forums and the publishing industry at large.

Donna S. Frelick talked about the lack of criteria for judging  and lack of training allows personal bias to get in the way. Laurie A. Green pointed out the racism and homophobia weren't the only biases when it came to the Ritas. The controversy grew so widespread a UK paper, The Guardian, had a pretty extensive article about race and RWA.

Instead of hiding under rock or sic the RWA attorney on members (I've seen both happen the eight years I was an RWA member), RWA's current president HelenKay Dimon has pledged to find a solution to the biases within the organization. Frankly, I hope Ms. Dimon and her board find a solution.

However, it isn't just writers and publishers who are the problem. How we deal with reader biases?

Anyone who's written a series, regardless of the  genre, can tell you how the sales numbers go down for each volume. For example (and these are hypothetical numbers):

Book #1 sells 100 copies.
Book #2 sells 50 copies.
Book #3 sells 35 copies.
Book #4 sells 20 copies, and so on.

Alter Ego's first series contained four books. The heroine of the third book was African-American. (I'll get into writing the other in Wednesday's blog post.) I bought a photo of a lovely dark-skinned black woman I used as the cover of Book #3.

If I posted my sales spreadsheets for this series, you would see that sales for Book #3 went way behind the normal drop off after Book #2. In fact, Book #4 with a white heroine on the cover outsells Book #3 roughly 3 to 1.

Recently, I redid all the covers for this series because the male model I used in the original covers decided to be, using my friend Jo's favorite term, a shitbird on Facebook. It'll be interesting if the sales ratios start to shift for Book #3 now that I'm using generic high-heeled shoes for all the covers.

So what's the perfect answer? I don't know, but this is a conversation our society needs to have.


**I'm going to leave comments open as long as everyone uses their company manners. If you get personal or nasty, your comment will get File 13'd.**

5 comments:

  1. Lol, yes the web is full of shitbirds. Flying by. Crapping on stuff.

    Double eye roll at the RITA's seeming to be saying there weren't any gay or POC protags or writers worthy of a nom in the last year? I mean, that might be true once in a great awhile, but consistently? Highly doubtful. Sounds like a systemic issue. I don't know a ton about the RITAs though.

    Just commenting here I feel like I could be stepping on a land mine. Hahah. I'm glad I'm not in charge over at RWA. I'd prolly just resign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give Ms. Dimon credit for trying to do something instead of shoving off onto next year's board. It's easy to ignore problems; much harder to fix them.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. :/

    I remember some years ago when a bunch of other m/m romance writers were all joining RWA, and encouraging the rest of us to hop on too. They formed an online chapter for GLBT romance, and another one for electronically published romance. "It's different!" they said. "Things are changing!" they said.

    Then the same shit came up. At that point, there'd never been a Rita nominee published by a small e-primary press, much less indie published. And there'd never been a Rita-nominated GLBT romance. That didn't change during the years I was paying attention.

    And there was a kerfuffle over some RWA chapter holding a contest that was only open to books about straight, monogamous people. But they totally weren't bigoted!! It was just, you know, there were a few of the chapter members who volunteered to judge every year -- and it's tough getting judges, honest! -- who were, like, you know, kinda-sorta uncomfortable reading GLBT romances. So what were they supposed to do? And they were completely shocked and hurt that people were criticizing them for actually putting no GLBT romances in the submission rules.

    And there was that year at Nationals when an m/m romance writer got her cardboard standee-thing with her cover art on it taken down and thrown away, along with her fliers and bookmarks and stuff. Word was that some dude who wasn't even with the conference -- just someone in the hotel for a business meeting, or for lunch or whatever -- walked by and glanced into the room where all the displays were, and was Shocked And Offended!!! to see this artwork with two guys in a clinch. Completely ignoring the straight couples clinching all over the room, some of whom were wearing significantly fewer clothes than the two gay guys. But, you know, they're gay, so everything they do is automatically dirtier than if a straight couple does the same thing. [huge fucking eyeroll]

    And at the time, the only way to join the top tier of RWA (I think it was PAN? -- whatever it was, at any rate) was to be signed on with a large traditional publisher that paid $$$$ advances. Which disqualified not only indies, but all the people who wrote GLBT romances too.

    At the time, I'd only published romance, and I'd heard a lot of good things about RWA. But there was all this too, and more. And I was writing m/m romance. And I was published by an e-primary small press.

    I was told that different chapters were different, and that most of the chapters were wonderful, full of welcoming, generous people eager to share info and be supportive! The problems are with upper management, but it's the chapters that give most of the benefit! Join, join!

    Yeah, no. The fact was, annual dues were pretty expensive, and you had to pay both National and your chapter, from what I heard. So joining costs a nice chunk of money, and no matter what people said, it'd be going to a severly problematic organization.

    Sorry, I'm not going to give a large chunk of money every year to an organization that spits on me twice, once for what I write, and then again for how I published it. :/

    It's sad that there haven't been any significant changes, but I can't say I'm shocked.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete