Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Back to School

Nope, not GK. Me.

It's been a while since I've taken any formal classes regarding writing craft. As in years, which is a little sloppy of me since I really do believe in continuing education no matter what your career is.

Anyway, Dean Wesley Smith suggested I take his Depth in Writing online class before attending the Anthology Workshop in February. Not only has it been a while since I've taken a class, it's been even longer since I had homework.

So of course, the old performance anxiety reared its head because the class starts today. Last night's sleep was riddled with the nightmares where it's finals week and I haven't even cracked open the book. Or I forgot to drop a class and it's too late, so now I'm going to get an "F" because I haven't attended the class all semester.

Sometimes, my Subconscious can be a total bitch!

4 comments:

  1. Ick, I've had those dreams. Major suck. :/ Hang in there, hon! {{{}}}

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I used to have them right before the start of every school year--grade school right through law school.

      And honestly, the first set of lectures felt like that first week of school where the teacher reviews all the stuff from last year before picking up with the new. :D

      Delete
  2. I've taken that workshop!

    And I had the best and worst responses during it - in that I had an assignment that didn't quite reach the goal and I had one that I blew the top off of.

    I think it was the second assignment that I "failed'. Not to worry - Dean gave me a few pointers and I did it again and did it well.
    The last assignment was an accumulation of those before it (each one builds from the last) and was the "hardest" of the lot. But I found it much easier as the last building step suited my mind best.

    Be kind to yourself.

    With Dean and the workshop, Failure just provides a bit more guidance and a chance to do better.

    In the end, I think you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turned in my first assignment this afternoon. My problem is my perfectionistic streak. It's totally me. I've had this problem since I was a toddler.

      Glad to hear you enjoyed Dean's class, too, Dee!

      Delete