Friday, August 2, 2019

The Friday That Got Away

I spend Friday mornings every other week to get caught up on our household and business paperwork. I had a lot more to do than the typical three hours thanks to my visits to various doctors.

Yesterday was spent getting things ready for the release of Reality Bites. Despite getting much accomplished over the last two days, none of it was writing.

As DH and I were walking last night, I complained about needing an assistant and not being able to afford one yet. Trying to be helpful, he offered to do things for me in the evenings after he was done with the day job.

Oh, boy.

I tried to tell him, as gently as I could, this was NOT a good idea. He already thinks I'm anal when it comes to household stuff. I couldn't handle him not taking my business seriously while working for me. Or with me as Dr. Raj Koothrappali would say.

Too many writers I know have run into problems when their spouse works "with" them. Their marriage especially suffered.

DH and I have worked too hard the last twenty-five years to throw away everything by working together. My marriage is too important to me.

It doesn't mean my writing is not important. But life is all about juggling priorities. But I don't want to juggle my marriage within my career.

3 comments:

  1. I know some people who make this work really well, but I agree that those are outliers. Jim and I watch a lot of those fix-your restaurant shows, and "family restaurants" are particularly prone to stress and failure because the families that own them and work there hate each other. :P

    And if you already know that your husband's work standards are different from yours, having him do stuff for your business is just asking for trouble. :(

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therein lies the problem. His work ethic is excellent when it comes to his employers.

      His work ethic when it comes to me or my interests is ehhh. Folks I've previously managed would tell you I'm a demanding bitch. That's a personal recipe for disaster.

      Delete
  2. Ah. Yeah, here there be dragons, definitely. :/ Better to back off and let that situation lie. :(

    Angie

    ReplyDelete