Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Writing Backward

When I get stuck in the middle of the story I'm currently working, I usually go clean the bathroom. It's the chore I hate the worst. Therefore, my mind quickly formulates a solution to the problem.

But sometimes, not even a grody toilet can shake loose an answer.

That's when I start writing backward.

Not literally. I write the last chapter so I know my destination. If that doesn't produce an idea for the middle of the book, I write the next-to-last chapter. And so on and so forth. By knowing where I need to go, I can layer in the elements back at the beginning and middle in order to get to the end.

Will this work for everyone? Hell if I know. It's worked for me a couple of times.

Here's the thing. You have got to figure out what works for you. There isn't a one-size fits all method for writing.

But if you need to do something to jar you out of the quicksand you're in, my bathroom could use a good scrubbing.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Plenty of my own house could use the flamethrower-and-firehose treatment, before I start branching out to other people's houses. [wry smile]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL No one's every taken me up on that offer. It's even funnier when someone asks me to help them in public and I make my suggestion. The looks on their faces is hysterical.

      Delete