Thursday, January 21, 2010

50 First Dates

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore's 50 First Dates is one of DH's favorite movies. (Ironically, The Wedding Singer is one of mine.) I picked up a copy in a certain store's $5 bin, and we watched it during our date night. (Stupid FTC regulation compliance notice.)

Yes, I know 50 First Dates was a decent hit. Yes, I know most critics thought it was sappy, stupid and/or gross. Yes, I know the medical experts say there's no such thing as Goldfield Syndrome. But the movie strikes a chord with DH and me.

Why? Because Henry and Lucy's situation reminds us of several elderly relatives, one spouse watching the other deteriorate under the effects of some medical condition, ususally Alzheimer's. Can one person's memory of the love he or she shared with the significant other be enough when the significant other can't remember? I think it can.

I just pray it's a very long before I have to put my belief to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment