Monday, April 26, 2010

Have a Plan

Currently reading - My Zombie Valentine by MacAllister, Fox, Mancusi, Cash

It's Monday so let's talk about a serious issue.

Do you have a plan for your writing career? Really. Do you?
By a plan, I mean specific goals with concrete steps in achieving these goals. I don't mean "Oh, I write if I get the time."

I looked at writing as a career change. This would be my third after computer consulting and practicing law. My five-year plan didn't pan out the way I thought, but hey, it was still a business plan. And I can honestly say I'm still making forward progress.

What I don't understand are the people who wing it when it comes to the crazy business. (Maybe that's why I'm primarily a plotter, not a pantser.) Then these same folks often blame everyone under the sun, except themselves, for not reaching their goals.

Over the next week or so, I'm going to talk about what I've done on the road to publishing, both successes and failures. I hope the rest of you will chime in too!

In the meantime, I highly recommend author Stephanie Bond's webpage for writers. Stephanie has free articles here, as well as ones for sale on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment