Friday, January 21, 2011

The Only Constant Is Change - Part 3

Currently reading - Percy Jackson and the Olympians:  The Lightning Thief

DON'T FORGET!  The gals at Killer Fiction are gving away books, gift cards and a Kindle.  Tomorrow, January 21st, is the last chance at these cool prizes.  To enter, comment on the daily blog posts starting on January 10th.

[P.S.  I highly recommend two other blogs mentioned in the comments on yesterday's post:  Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith.  They've been in the publishing industry for decades, so they definitely know the business.  The also happen to be married to each other.]


It'd been the rejection day from hell.  When DH asked if I'd thought about self-publishing, peanut butter stuck to the roof of my mouth.  The time it took to clear my tongue also gave me a chance to formulate a semi-polite answer.

ME:  "Are you fucking nuts?  Wheaton was a movie star before he hit puberty.  He's got a platform already.  I don't."

DH:  "You're working on it."

ME:  "I don't have an editor.  I'm not conceited enough to think I don't need one.  Wheaton was smart enough to hire an good editor."

DH:  "Start talking to your friends.  I'm sure Colleen or Christie or someone can recommend a decent freelancer."

ME:  "But I can't draw.  I'd need a cover artist, even with an e-book."

DH:  "What about M__?  You love her work.  And she wants to get back into graphic design."

ME:  "I'm not sure.  I'm still getting a lot of rejections."

DH:  "But look at why you're getting the rejections."

ME:  "Because I suck?"

DH (after giving me a dirty look):  What did the last couple of e-mails say?  'Great writing.'  'Great voice.'  But then they turn around and say, 'I don't think I can sell this.'"

ME:  "Because I suck."  [Yes, I was feeling a tremendous amount of self-pity at the time.]

DH:  "Sweetie, face it.  You're a niche writer.  Focus on that niche.  It doesn't mean you won't go mainstream down the line, but you need to focus on your core audience."

ME:  "I'll think about it."

And I have been thinking about it.  Thinking to the point, I've been playing with formats on a couple of rejected manuscripts and doing research.  DH put a bug in M__'s ear about designing my cover.  She was incredibly enthusiastic about working with me, so at some point, I need to send her the manuscript so she can brainstorm.

Am I totally giving up on NY?  Not yet.  I've got two fulls and two partials sitting on four different agents' desks at the moment I write this.

But that doesn't mean I'm not looking at all the alternatives in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment