Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why?

Currently reading - Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Yep, it's a late post today.  Got a little sidetracked today.

I was lucky when GK was a toddler.  He never went through that stage where he asked the constant 'why' questions.  You know the ones.  Why is the sky blue?  Why do birds fly?  Why do we have pet dogs?

He's making up for it now.  We started the events of WWII during 1942 as today's history lesson.  Since WWII was the first well-documented war, there's lots of pictures, recordings and info.  We got stuck on the Bataan Death March and Executive Order 9066.  It took me nearly two hours to explain why Japan and the U.S. did what they did in the first six months of 1942 and how those events affected (or would have affected) members of our family.  Two hours later when I finished answering all GK's "Why?"s, he looked at me and said, "People are stupid."

I couldn't agree more.

So, to the victims and survivors of Bataan, to those Americans who were illegally incarcerated in U.S. concentrations camps, and to those Americans who served in the European and Pacific theaters, I salute your sacrifices to human stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment