Monday, July 4, 2016
Monday Movie Mania - Now You See Me 2
The first was fun in its unpredictability and because the filmmakers didn't break the magicians' illusions too much. The sequel was way too predictable which made it disappointing.
* * *
* * *
1) The addition of Lizzy Caplan as Lula was a welcome shot of sassy estrogen compared to Isla Fisher's lovelorn Henley. Both the character and the actress hold their own against the men. Even better, she wasn't just a love interest replacement for Danny.
2) Michael Caine and Daniel Radcliffe were obviously having a blast playing the father/son antagonists seeking revenge for what the Horsemen did in the first movie.
1) It turns out that Mark Ruffalo's FBI Agent Dylan Rhodes was not already part of the Eye, which was a disappointing development that sets backs the pace of the movie.
2) The reveal that Morgan Freeman's Bradley was actually the partner of Dylan's dad was an obvious and rather sad contrivance.
3) Forcing Danny into a need to prove himself better than Dylan, after Dylan had earned Danny's respect in the first film, felt like a major step backwards.
4) Woody Harrelson's portrayal of Merritt and his twin brother Chase was the distraction for the movie's tricks. As much as I love Woody's work, not even his charm could make this movie's writing work.
Overall, I would give this movie a 5 out of 10 stars.