Friday, November 24, 2017

Black Friday Sucks!

Yesterday as we drove to my father-in-law's for Thanksgiving, we notice that the Elder-Beerman department store at our local mall was open.  Elder-Beerman was the second largest regional department store in Ohio until Macy's parent company Federated Department Stores bought out Lazarus and subsequently re-branded them under the Macy's name. It's also the last big anchor store at our mall since JC Penney closed this summer.

But the Goddess-damned store was open at 10 a.m. on fucking Thanksgiving Day.

Maybe I'm turning into the get-off-my-lawn guy. Maybe it's the lovely symptoms of menopause. But damn! Stores can't give their people one fucking holiday off?

I mean, yeah, I sell books for a living. But I rarely, and I mean RARELY see a sale on a holiday.

Which is how it should be. You should be celebrating the holiday, and if it's not with the family of blood, then it should be with the family you made.

And even for the holidays I've spent alone, and there's been a few, I wouldn't want to put someone else out, keep them away from their family, out of some selfish need.

I'm not going to suggest or ask or beg you not to shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. You gotta do what your own conscience tells you.

But me? I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday.

What I will ask you is this: please, PLEASE show a little compassion for the folks in stores and restaurants who are just trying to make their rent and put food on their table for their kids. And these people are told they will be fired if they don't show up on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. There's a lot more of them than you realize, and even a decent tip or a smile can make the difference.

So if you need to shop, please be kind.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any stores open on Thanksgiving, but then I don't go out on Thanksgiving, so what do I know? :/ That is pretty ridiculous, though.

    What does work is online shopping. Want to do a Black Friday sale? Do it online. That takes a minimum of employees to run. And seriously, it's not like the online stores have ever shut down for holidays anyway, so it's nothing new. Let the B&M folks stay home with their families.

    Angie, who shopped the awesome sale at Good Old Games just a few minutes ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's part of my problem. Everyone in retail should have one freaking day off regardless of where they work. It's not like they're care givers or first responders. And we the public can't go for one freaking day without BUYING something?
      That's where the problem starts. Being rude shits when we do is just the icing on the cake.

      Waiting two days after Thanksgiving to shop online is not the issue.

      Delete