Monday, November 7, 2022

Monday Movie Mania - Amsterdam

I'm finally feeling comfortable enough to go to movie theaters again. Yay!

Amsterdam is a quirky little historical comedy-thriller you're either going to love or hate. DH and I wanted to see it because of the all-star cast, many of whom we're huge fans of. (Seriously, I will watch Margot Robbie in anything!)

Unfortunately, it's so quirky people either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. The main plot is very loosely based on a real event in U.S. history, the Business Plot.


*********

SPOILERS!!

**********

PROS

1)  The cast was excellent. The starring trio of Christian Bales, Margot Robbie, and John David Washington shine as old friends who are trying to solve the murder of a general they served with during Word War I.

2)  Chris Rock was understated as the trio's cynical sidekick who tries to inject reality in his repeated requests to drop the case.

3)  Rami Malek was delightfully scary as one of the villains.

4) I fear this movie was given such poor reviews because the events in the movie from a century ago are far too similar to the real life events over the last few years. We're seeing the same rise in fascism and violence for political ends. I don't think American citizens like facing the same damn flaws in the mirror.

 

CONS

 1) As much as I respect Christian Bales as an actor, his Dr. Bert Berendsen came across as Peter Falk playing Columbo, which Bert was acting as a detective, but it was distracting for me at times.


Overall, I really liked Amsterdam. I give it 9 stars out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment