Wednesday, December 13, 2023

While I'm in Surgery...

Depending on what time you read this post, I might be in surgery getting my eyeball sliced with a laser. For some reason, I'm more nervous about this surgery than I was about the mastectomy five and a half years ago.

Why? Because this only affects the quality of my life, not my survival.

Sounds stupid, right? Except humans are irrational at heart.

That idea is difficult to write about because we humans also want things to make sense. If I wrote about some real life incidents from my own or others I know of, most readers would do the proverbial "throw the book against the wall". Those incidents make good barroom tales, but most readers would write the idea off as unbelievable because it is so outrageous and there's no satisfying ending in real life.

We humans are the ultimate paradox.

Which is why, after wearing glasses and contacts over the last fifty-one years, I'm scared that I might see clearly without visual aids.

No comments:

Post a Comment