Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Another Hugo Fiasco

There's more than enough online about the crapfest that was the 2023 WorldCon and the Hugo Awards. The problem is the Chengdu conference suffered from similar problems as the Puppies Debacles that started ten years ago.

Decades ago, I used the Hugos to find new reads in my favorite genre. Not anymore. I don't want to read books based on someone else's political or social agenda. Moreover, I don't like other people to choose my reads in the hopes that they can brainwash me.

The sad part with this latest fiasco is that it wasn't the voters throwing a hissy fit. And from some of the leaked e-mails, it wasn't the Chinese government. The true story may never come out, but it's looking more and more like the 2023 conferences committee self-censored the nominees.

The question one everyone's mind is why. Were the members bribed by the Chinese business people who funded the brand-new building that housed the conference? Did the committee members think they were protecting the artist who might run afoul of the Chinese government? Or was this a back-end method for fascists to take over another institution?

It's sad. It's tiring. It's why I don't give a shit about winning an award for my writing. Because I've already been told I write radical feminist propaganda and I'm anti-white. *sigh*

I was taught that things need to be fair. And I took that lesson to heart eve though the people who taught me the concept were incredibly racist and misogynistic. The hypocrisy burns at times.

Regardless, I believe in picking out my own books. I believe in everyone having the right to express themselves. And I believe in everyone's right to read or view what they want.

P.S. If you need a rundown of the events, check out Abigail Nussbaum's blog post. It has all the same links I would have posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment