Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Agony of Rejection, The Ecstasy of a Request

Currently Reading - Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn

You know you've got something in your manuscript and/or your query when the responses from agents and editors (and crit partners and beta readers) is an equal mix of "Holy shit! I've got to read this!" and "WTF were you thinking when you wrote this?"

(Okay, I'm paraphrasing a teensy bit. Every agent and editor I've dealt with has been superbly professional.)

I've found over the *ahem* time I've been writing there's a graduated system to responses when querying your baby.

1) You're insane and I'm blocking your e-mail
2) Please go back to school.
3) Join a writer's organization
4) Get a clue about POV/pacing/plotting, etc.
5) It's nice but meh
6) Holy Shit/WTF
7) I love it but the buying committee said no
8) Please sign here

Heck, I'm pleased just to reach Stage 6. Now, if I can skip Stage 7 and hit Stage 8. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment