Friday, November 30, 2018

When the Muse Dangles the New Shiny

We writers have enough problems focusing on whatever we're currently writing. Invariably, our muses like to tempt us away from the current file/page with some awesome new idea.

The temptation often happens when we've hit a sagging middle, or worse, when we're near completion of the current work-in-progress. My muse is no different than any one else's.

So of course, I dream a story last story. I mean it's tons better than the nightmares that have plagued me for the last three months. But still, the last thing I need is another story when I've got a ton of partially finished manuscripts THAT I MUST FINISH! I mean, the readers have been patiently waiting for these stories for the months I've been dealing with my cancer.

What's worse is this idea is not even fantasy. It's a weird combination of This Is Us and A Million Little Things, two TV shows I don't even watch.

Normally, I write a page of any new idea, just to get it out of my head, before I return back to my wip. But this crazy idea isn't even in my wheelhouse! And worse, the muse cast the idea with several actors from the cast and guest stars of Friends as a further method to tempt me. And no, it wasn't funny, not funny at all, but the type of serious drama the other two shows I mentioned above would do.

And this idea will not leave me alone!

GAH! I wasn't joking when I've said my muse/subconscious was a bitch!

3 comments:

  1. ROFL! Jot it down and get back to your current WIP. Later on, either you'll want-to-slash-figure-out-how-to flesh it out and actually write it, or it'll fade and you can delete it.

    I had a weird dream last night, with some of the Avengers plus Phil Coulson working on a normal crime, and Phil was the only one who had a super power. [eyeroll] I only remember one scene, which would've been pretty cool, I guess, but I don't have a story to put it in. But yeah, that sort of thing is annoying. :D

    Angie

    ReplyDelete