Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Holiday Madness!

It's the day before Thanksgiving here in the U.S. We have a bizarre relationship with holidays and family in the country. All the pressure and weirdness and lack of manners comes out, often causing problems with the people we claim we love the most.

Even though I publicly stated I have breast cancer on this blog a few months ago, I hadn't told anybody else beyond a close circle of friends. And DH's family can be...a little clueless.

Even though we've had dinner with the extended family more than once, they didn't notice I'm missing a body part. It's funny and a little sad at the same time.

Seriously, we had dinner at a local Mexican restaurant two weeks ago, and DH's youngest sister, aka Princess Cindy, tells me I can use her kitchen to cook Thanksgiving dinner.

No, she didn't ask. She stated.

Now, Princess Cindy and her husband have hosted many holiday events. I don't have a problem contributing, but I had no plans to cook this year. Not even for my own household. I'd already told DH I was playing the cancer card for the holidays this year.

So I told Princess Cindy I'd bring chicken tenders and a veggie tray from Kroger. (I love their deli section! So many delicious choices!) Since she was planning a game day (the family loves board games, and not the usual Hasbro ones), I said finger food would be the perfect accompaniment. We placed the order on the 15th.

And DH got text from her on that same day, asking again if I would cook.

I'm still not sure what's really going on. It wasn't like they are huge fans of the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, yadda, yadda, yadda. The in-laws' idea of Thanksgiving is ham loaf and a store-bought pie.

So guess what Princess Cindy did yesterday? She ordered a ham dinner and pie from a local restaurant.

We'll have more than enough to eat tomorrow, but if Cindy wanted ham, why did she ask me to cook? She knows I don't make typical holiday foods.

This is what I mean about pressure and weirdness. I though I'd escaped the psych games with my side of the family, but apparently, every family has them. Cest la vie!

5 comments:

  1. Lol. I'm not even sure when our Thanksgiving is going to be. Today? Tomorrow? Noon? Later? I'll hibernate, as is tradition, and wait for some exasperated female relative to come roust me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, passive-agressive much? :P She's a piece of work, that one.

    My sleep schedule, which staggers around the clock pretty much at random, and which I've given up on controlling for the most part, had me going to bed early in the afternoon recently, so I figured we'd have Thanksgiving lunch. Jim was fine with it. I was up all night, so I got the turkey in around 8 or so, and everything went fine. Except that when it was time to eat, my stomach started acting up. [headdesk]

    I told Jim, "It's all ready, go for it, I'm going to bed, I'll have leftovers later." [sigh] I got up around 9pm, felt fine, and came down to reheat leftovers and watch TV with Jim. It worked fine, he said everything was yummy -- and it was -- and the world moves on.

    Stuff happens, and you deal. I guess your SIL never figured that out. :/

    [wave/hugz]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you and Jim do what works for you. Nothing wrong with that.

      Yeah, all the sisters-in-law are PA in various degrees. I've had to learn to ignore it over the last twenty-five years, or I'd give myself a heart attack.

      It turns out Cindy hadn't ordered her ham dinner when she texted DH. She tried to Tuesday night, and the restaurant manager said "I'm sorry. I can't take anymore ham orders, but I can provide some sides."

      So when she called DH Wednesday night wailing about no meat, he pointed out we were bringing two caterers' pans of fried chicken. So we had plenty of chicken, mac & cheese, raw veggies, and a good variety of desserts. It was a damn good meal.

      Delete
    2. Oh, good grief. :/

      Yeah, sounds like you had good food, and hopefully you enjoyed (most of?) the family togetherness. :)

      Angie

      Delete