Monday, May 6, 2019

Happiness and Satisfaction in Writing

This is something I've been considering for a while. I keep hearing writers complain about writing. They can't make a living. They can't put out books fast enough. They don't have enough ideas.

The occasional times I've asked the writer what they want, they say something along the lines of  "I want to make a living as a writer."

But when I press them, what they really want is that one idea, that one book, which will  make them a fortune. A fortune they can live off of for the rest of their lives.

The golden ticket. The winning lottery number. The magic beans that will save them from obscurity.

If you want a lot of money, there's a ton of ways to get it. But guess what? You generally have to work for it.

There aren't any shortcuts in writing. But why make yourself miserable over something you hate?

Maybe it's simply our society. We equate anything to do with work as terrible. We despise play as frivolous and stupid and for children only.

So if we have work that is fun, our culture can't handle it. We need to tear it down.

Or we can chose to change our paradigm.

I prefer the latter. There's no reason not to find as much joy in our work as we do in our play. It's merely a matter of changing our mindset.

Besides, I couldn't turn off the storytelling part of my mind if I wanted to.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely. I don't get people who call themselves writers but don't enjoy the process.

    I mean, okay, if you have "Be a published author" on your bucket list or something, then I guess that makes a sort of sense. We've all known people who want to have written, but don't particularly want to write. But usually you work that crap out of your system within a few years at most, and either realize you enjoy writing or go do something else.

    Grinding on something I hate doing, over and over and over, for years, just hoping to get that winning lottery ticket? There are plenty of jobs at about the same level of grinding that'll at least pay you a living wage and provide benefits, and you can spend five bucks on actual lottery tickets once a week.

    And yeah, I'm like you -- I couldn't turn it off if I wanted to. And we're not at all rare, either. I just don't get why anyone who's not like us would even be here.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I would have stayed in law if I needed to hate what I was doing. LOL

    ReplyDelete