Friday, April 3, 2020

The Wee Hours of the Morning

Yesterday, I didn't wake up until four in the afternoon. My sleep schedule is a little off, but right now, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm an empath. No, it's not like Deanna Troi on ST:TNG. Modern science is actual admitting we exist, but they call us "emotional sponges". And that's what we do--we soak up the emotions of people around us. Which can be bad or good depending on the situation.

In my case, the stronger the emotion the more powerful my reaction. Whenever a particular neighbor in Houston was trying quit smoking, I'd wake up with an intense craving for a cigarette. And I've never smoked in my life!

Right now, everyone's on edge about the damn virus, the stability of their jobs, money. So in addition to my own fears, I'm picking up everyone else's feeling in the damn apartment building because they are all stuck at home.

So how do I ease the static in the back of my brain? I wait until everyone else, including DH, goes to bed. There's a real peace that happens after one a.m. Everyone's asleep. Their conscious minds aren't emitting their emotions like quasars emitting massive amounts of radiation. My mind is alone with its thoughts for that portion of the night.

And I can step into my imaginary worlds and bring them to life.

There's something to be said about the peace of the witching hours, and I am at my most productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment