Friday, April 24, 2020

Is This the End of Barnes & Noble?

A lot of U.S. businesses were struggling before the COVID-19 pandemic hit our shores. Bookstore chain Barnes & Noble ("B&N") was one of them.

They thought they'd found their white knight when Elliot Management Corporation, the same hedge fund that purchased Waterstone's in the U.K., bought them last August.

Flash-forward to seven months later. B&N has closed over 400 of their stores thanks to the outbreak of COVID-19. States and cities with stay-at-home orders rarely list bookstores as essential operations. So a company already teetering on the edge has no lifeline.

They've still been selling paper books and e-books to the public for the last two months. But another issue has arisen. This week, B&N told Draft2Digital ("D2D"), an e-book distribution company, they would only pay 30% of the revenue owed to D2D's customers.

Excuse me?

I get that D2D is trying to make things right with their customers. D2D may have made their own position worse by taking out a loan to cover the other 70% of what B&N owes to D2D's clients/writers. Given the current economic situation, covering a third party's debt can put your own business in a precarious situation.

On the other side is Smashwords ("SW"), who has announced they are receiving the full amount owed to their customers.

Since I go direct with B&N, I have no idea if I'll receive the funds due to me. I guess I'll find out next week. On one hand, I can afford their lack of payment from a business perspective. On the other hand, do I need to start pulling my books off their site again?

I had to do this five years ago when B&N was having problems. I've been gradually restoring the Angry Sheep catalog to B&N. Instead of spending next week writing and editing to get Magick and Murder out on time, I'll have to spend part of that time dealing with this mess.

I wish I could say I was surprised by all this, but I'm not. The traditional publishing companies have been approaching the same cliff as B&N. It'll be interesting to see which companies survive the side effects of COVID-19.

No comments:

Post a Comment