Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Always Double-Check Your Work

Currently reading - Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon

"Review your answers before turning in your test." Remember that sage piece of advice from a multitude of teachers?

Same goes for when you get the request for a full or a partial. And yes, I've been double-checking my work for the last three days after receiving a request for a full from someone I'd love to work with in the industry. I've found typos the crit partners, beta readers and I all missed in numerous passes over this manuscript. I've also smoothed out a few awkard phrasings. I want this to be the best damn thing on this editor's desk when I send it.

And I think that's where a lot of newbies trip up. An agent or editor is not going to dock your grade for handing in your homework late. Trust me if they are, that's not someone you probably want to work with. On the other hand, I'm not waiting months and months before I send it in because I want the request still fresh in the editor's mind.

So take a day (or three depending on your life), and look over your manuscript one last time before hitting 'SEND'. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the request, Suzan! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pat! It's amazing how my mind automatically fills in a word that's not printed on the screen. Those are the things I have to watch for.

    ReplyDelete