Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Finding a New Author

First of all, I apologize for missing the last couple of days. Between school starting (I homeschool), GK getting braces, and the stupid people at Lowes giving us the run around about a new back door, I've been a little preoccupied.

As for Lowes, DH always worries when I go silent during an, um, altercation. It nevers bodes well for the person I'm altercating with. I try to be civil, but when I'm on the verge of saying things that would make my cousin E, a marine who did three tours in Iraq, blush, it's time to walk away.

And speaking of strong-willed women who believe in cutting
civility. . .



OMG! I cannot say enough good things about Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. Her heroine, Alexia Tarabotti, had me from the beginning and didn't let go. I finished Book 2, Changeless, last night. Well, actually this morning about 1AM. And she had me bawling my eyes out!

It took all of my strength not to launch into Book 3, Blameless. But it's calling for me. . .

But what's it about, Suzan, I hear y'all asking. Think Jules Verne meets Jane Austen with a dash of paranormal thrown in for spice.

Alexia Tarabotti is a spinster in Victorian England who accidentally kills a vampire during a society ball. Hey, it was self-defense. The vamp was a newborn with no clue as to proper etiquette in regards to biting a young lady, even those of the spinsterish variety. This incident puts her at odds with Lord Connall Maccon, the head of the queen's supernatural investigations unit, and a hunky Scottish werewolf to boot. You see, Alexia is a preternatural, aka soulless. One touch from her cancels a supernatural's ability. Lord Maccon fears Alexia has taken up her people's occupation of destroying the supernatural species.

I don't want say anymore for fear of spoiling the story for you. But I cannot wait for Heartless to come out in July of 2011!

Edit: I started Blameless during GK's half-hour reading period today. Now at roughly Page 85.

No comments:

Post a Comment